The buildings at the Burnt Coat Harbor Light Station, also sometimes called the Swan’s Island Lighthouse, are closed for the season as of September 10, 2016. Although the buildings are closed, the park and the trails will remain open until the road is closed due to ice and snow.
We are happy to report a very successful 12 week season, with more than 2000 visitors to the keeper’s house and about half that number visiting the tower and climbing to the lantern room.
The Historical Society exhibit, “A Living from the Sea: Swan’s Island 1850-1950,” garnered lots of attention and many favorable comments. As often happens (and we love it), folks with personal memories of the events covered in the exhibit added comments and explanations. The exhibit will be preserved as part of the Historical Society’s records.
Our restoration continues! We made lots of progress this summer. An apartment upstairs in the keeper’s house is almost ready. We expect to begin renting it next summer. Details about rental arrangements will be posted on the website as soon as they are available.
Thanks to everyone who volunteered, visited, contributed, and/or worked this summer at the Burnt Coat Harbor Light Station!